December 17, 2007

Best Bed for Baby

You will never miss Bilum or string bags while in PNG.
There are dirrefent types of traditional bags, some use coconuts leaves, pandanus leaves etc...
Today, Highlands Bilum made out of wool is more popular than others and even many coastal people are carrying them around. The strong bag is used for carrying the garden products in the villages and as a shopping bag in towns.

When I was new to the country, I was walking around the busy Mt Hagen market: a lady with Bilum on her head was ahead of me - looked like potatos inside, and I was shocked to see that Bag was moving, and next moment started crying !!There was a baby inside, and at that time, I did not know that Bilum was also a good bed for Baby. - It is a movable soft bed and protects baby from the hot sun, and has good air-circulation.


No comments: